Shirley Nicholson Counseling
Psychotherapist, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Much of our satisfaction in life is attained in our ability to create and maintain meaningful and mutually-satisfying relationships. In fact, committed relationships and marriage can be your greatest source of love, support, and joy. However, it can be difficult to maintain a healthy one over the years. Emotional distance and negative feelings can grow, arguments can escalate, communication can disintegrate, and your relationship can become more painful than happy.
A good therapist can sometimes move things forward even when spouses are sure everything is hopeless. Often when a relationship reaches a crisis point, a positive shift can happen, and the relationship grows and improves. (Therapy works best when its not a last-ditch effort, so don’t wait until this point).
A couple should consider seeking Marriage Counseling when:
- one or both partners feel they have “lost themselves” or have “sold out”
- there is lack of trust and being trustworthy
- communication is often fighting, bickering, criticism & blame
- there is increasing sexual dissatisfaction
- one or both partners are less invested in spending time together
- emotional needs are not being considered or met
- there is serious consideration to having an affair or being unfaithful personally/ internet websites
- family stressors (finances, child-rearing, in-laws, health issues) become over-whelming and devisive
- partners simply want to strengthen and enrich their relationship
- couples wish to understand differences and develop better communication and conflict resolution skills
Couples Therapy/Marital Counseling can work and work well. You can turn your relationship difficulties into opportunities for growth and change. I work with an emphasis on the resilience of people rather than damage, on health rather than old wounds, and human potential rather than trauma.
A therapist cannot know when someone should leave a marriage, only the couple knows if they should separate. However, a therapist can help you make sound and thoughtful decisions from a healthy and balanced place. When children are involved, it is essential to take the relationship to a place where parenting is not negatively impacted by the separation.
Separation and divorce is a painful process. Therapy can also help people in grieving and healing in order to move on in life and accept the multiple levels of loss involved.
Contact me by email or phone for a free 15 min consultation to learn more about Couples or Marital Counseling or to schedule an appointment. I look forward to meeting with you.